Monday 18 July 2011

Clare's story, Basingstoke - first time mum, break in contractions

"DS number 1

I was 38+5 when I started getting period type pains and waters started leaking. It was my own fault as it was Thursday 12th and I'd said to my mum 'I'm not going anywhere tomorrow just in case'!!! Ha! Well I didn't technically go anywhere, unless you count from antenatal to labour ward! Anyway, I rang maternity and they said to come in as waters were leaking and it was my first baby. They said to stay in, although labour was not established, but waters were broken, they weren't busy and this was my first baby.
I got to hospital at about 10.30pm, had irregular contractions for most of the night, then DS decided it was time for a rest and went to sleep for a few hours and all the contractions stopped! Got going again about lunchtime and they took me to delivery about 1pm as I was dilating well. I had an 8 hour established labour which I was told was good for a first timer. Towards the end the midwife broke my waters as although they had gone the night before, the bag had sort of folded back under my cervix and stopped it from breaking properly. This frightened the life out of DS and he evacuated his meconium inside! Paed was called and present at the birth to check him over... he was fine. No-one knows the exact time he was born though as midwife deferred to the paed, who thought the midwife was doing the timing. They agreed it was about 8.20pm though. Paed rushed off as busy by now and midwife almost had to call her back as my placenta wouldn't come out, but she catheterised me and it came out soon as my bladder was empty!
He was 6lb 7.5oz at 38+6 gestation, 2 shots of pethadine overnight to help me get some sleep and the actual established labour on gas and air."

Submit your story to marvellousmummies@live.co.uk - please state whether you would like your name and location published otherwise by default you will become 'Anon'.

No comments:

Post a Comment