Wednesday 2 February 2011

Rebecca's story, UK - SPD, very long induction and emergency c-section

"I had a pretty horrendous pregnancy. Due to kidney complications I was on antibiotics from 18 weeks, I suffered low blood pressure so kept passing out up until 35 weeks and also suffered SPD from 14 weeks. Initially I thought this was just back pain caused by pregnancy and I was too embarrassed to tell the Dr about the burning pain in my pelvis region but after a few weeks it got too bad and I told them. They diagnosed severe SPD. I was put on codeine tablets (the strongest I could take due to the pregnancy) and given a support belt to wear. As the pregnancy progressed the pain got worse and I was given anti-depressants to help deal with the pain but they didn't work. At 28 weeks my Dr and MW suggested my pregnancy was ended early via induction and at 38 weeks pregnant I was admitted to hospital for my induction. By this stage my pelvis had actually separated and I was unable to walk. I was having to use crutches for the short distances I could walk or use a wheelchair for longer distances. I hadn't slept properly for about 4 weeks by this stage either so just wanted my DS out so that I could be out of the pain.

I was admitted on a Monday evening and after seeing the MW on the ward and a consultant the induction was started by a pessary of prostaglandin that was inserted into my cervix, along with having a sweep. Following this I started having light contractions and was told I would have another pessary inserted in 6 hours (so early Tuesday morning). Tuesday morning came and went and due to the hospital being so full the induction could not continue. By this stage I was in immense pain in my pelvis as the internals and insertion of pessaries caused my pelvis to separate further. Me and the baby were monitored but nothing was happening. On the Wednesday afternoon I had the second pessary of Prostaglandin inserted. Again I started having mild contractions but labour did not progress any further and once again due to the hospital being so busy I did not have the next does of prostaglandin administered for a further 24 hours (it should have been administered after 6 hours). I had the 3rd dose of prostaglandin administered on early Thursday evening. This time I had no contractions after. The MW did another sweep but nothing happened. Due to the pain I was suffering and the fact that I could not walk, I spoke to a consultant and asked if there was a way I could opt for a planned c-section. The consultant said that I could opt for c-section but not until I was at least 39 week's pregnant and that he did not see any medical reason for this. He said that despite my SPD and pelvis separation there was no reason why I couldn't give birth naturally so we decided to continue with the induction and a natural labour.

On the Friday morning another consultant visited me. He did an internal and said I was 2CM dilated and that my waters could be broken by the MW and labour started that way. After 5 days in hospital with no sleep and seeing women come in, have their babies and leave this was great news. The consultant assured me that I would be going down to the labour ward today for my labour to start however again this did not happen! By this time I was incredibly frustrated as was my husband and family who had been on tender hooks all week!

Finally at 5am on Saturday morning I was taken down to the labour ward and at 6:20am my waters were broken by my MW. I immediately started contracting. The MW had to leave me for 4 hours to see if labour started naturally. After 4 hours I was having regular contractions and was dealing with the pain well. My MW decided to leave me for another 2 hours to see how labour progressed rather than start putting me on a syntocinon drip as contractions were regular and I was doing well despite the baby being back to back. However after the 2 hours I was still only 4cm dilated and the baby was putting increased pressure on my back so I had no option but to go on the syntocinon drip. At the same time I was given pethedine however due to the strength of the contractions and the way pethedine works I was not getting much relief from the pain so after an hour screamed for a epidural. I had this at about 5:30pm and as soon as I had this all pain disappeared and labour was great!! I even watched strictly come dancing and X Factor!!!! By 8:30pm the babies heart beat had dropped so I came off the syntocinon drip. At the same time my MW did an internal and found I was 10cm dilated - I had gone from 4cm to 10cm in 3 hours!! She was advised to leave me for another hour to ensure I really was 10cm however during this hour I started feeling the urge to push and a further internal examination revealed that the babies head was pretty close to crowning!!

I started pushing on the advice of my MW and was advised that as he was so close it should only take a couple of pushes for my DS to arrive. After an hour and half of pushing there was still no baby and I could not feel him coming any further down my birthing canal. My husband and mum were encouraging me and my midwife said I was doing really well yet I wasn't getting anywhere. My MW put me back on the syntocinon drip to try and encourage my DS out but this just made his heart beat rapidly drop so the MW had to stop the drip for my DS's sake. I said to my MW that I did not think I was pushing right but she assured me I was. I said that I didn't think my baby would fit out my pelvis and again she said he would but after a few further pushes in which he did not arrive, the midwife did an examination and went very quiet. She fetched the consultant on call who advised that my babies head was stuck and transverse and that he was trying to come out ear first. By this time my DS's heartbeat had dropped really low and it was clear everyone was concerned for him and me.

The consultant advised that they needed to get the baby out quickly and that they would like to try a ventouse delivery but if that didn't work I would need an emergency c-section. Within 5 minutes of seeing the consultant in my birthing room I was being wheeled into theatre. My husband was by my side in his theatre scrubs and suddenly I was in a room with 11 other hospital staff - nurses, MW, paediatrician, anesthetist, assistants, consultants, etc. The consultant tried to suck my DS out using a kiwi ventouse but I have since learnt that he only tried those because I had come so far and because I was desperate to give birth naturally but that he never really thought they would work. After a quick attempt the consultant told all the staff to start the C-section. By this time my baby's heart rate was really low and my husband was very concerned. Although I could not see anything I was very aware that the consultant was having trouble getting my DS out. Afterwards I was told it took 1 consultant to push my DS back inside of me and 2 others to pull him out of my pelvis. However despite all the trauma he came out and was crying almost immediately at 11:06pm. My husband was then guided around my open stomach and cut the cord and was passed the baby. After a quick look at my DS my husband and DS left the theatre and went back to the birthing room whilst I was stitched up and put back together. I was finally reunited with my DS and husband after about 30 minutes.

I felt incredibly traumatised by the whole birth process. After spending 6 days in hospital before his birth and being told that I could have a natural birth I ended up with the one kind of birth I didn't want for my DS and only 5 minutes to prepare myself for it!! The most ironic thing was the consultant who said I couldn't have the c-section before 39 weeks was the one who ended up giving me my c-section whilst 38 weeks!! I wish I had fought harder and made the Drs listen to me more. I honestly believe that my body knew all along my DS was never going to come out of my pelvis due to the pelvis separation and I wish I had made the Drs take this concern more seriously and listen to me. As pregnant women I believe we know our bodies well - we know when something is wrong and I knew that my DS would not come out naturally.

Now 14 weeks on I am pretty much recovered from the c-section. I am still suffering from the SPD and have been told it could take up to 6 months to get better, especially because of the amount of pulling of it I had during my delivery. Despite everything though I love my son to bits and would not change a thing. The one good thing about the c-section was that for the first 6 weeks after I could do nothing but spend time with my DS and we really bonded.

If I do have another child I would consider a natural birth but I would want to be closely monitored and my pelvis checked regularly. If there was any concern that my pelvis had separated again or that my child could not come out naturally I would want a planned c-section so I would have time to mentally prepare myself for this major operation."

Submit your story to marvellousmummies@live.co.uk - please state whether you would like your name and location published otherwise by default you will become 'Anon'.

No comments:

Post a Comment