Thursday 3 February 2011

*MIDWIFE* Elle's story, UK - rewarding career

"Where do I start! My name is Elle, I'm 26 and I chose to be a midwife in my first year of university studying maths after my flatmate went into labour in our halls - she didn't tell anyone about the pregnancy and I was gob smacked! I stayed with her and went with her to hospital and held her hand and that day changed my life completely. She was so scared and frightened and even ashamed but as soon as that baby came out the smile on her face overcame all those fears - I could tell. While we were there the midwife delivering Elle (she named her daughter after me - another reason!!!) was horrible - so impatient and inconsiderate and I just remember thinking how much that made a difference - Claire would have been a lot more relaxed with a midwife who was more supportive. Needless to say that day changed my life, I wanted to do it again! See the happiness, see more babies! Help women like Claire who need that support a mum to be needs! The following year I enrolled to do midwifery!
I've been qualified for 2 years now and not one day has been the same! Their are a few similarities with most mums to be, no matter how many babies a mum has - they are always as nervous and excited as the first. I remember my first forceps delivery - a first time mum had been a labour for 18 hours, she was so so tired and I think I was as scared as she was! Forceps are used if baby gets a bit stuck coming down the birth canal or a bit lazy! They are designed to aid the delivery by applying traction to the babies head - they have 4 main components should I say that help it, the blades - which grasp the baby, each blade has like a curve that fits around baby's head which are attached to shanks which give the length - they are attached to the handles which lock to give support - sounds like something of a sc-fi film and aren't very attractive and can be uncomfortable for both mum and baby but they are there to help deliver baby as safely as possible. Constant reassurance will always be given to support mum.
Inductions are quite commonly used these days for many reasons from being overdue - to baby being too big or too small - baby is breech - diabetes, pre-eclampsia, from time to time personal reasons; we recently induced a lady because her partner was heading to Afghanistan - it's not general practice but we want what is best for mum and baby. There are many different ways of inducing a baby - sometimes a sweep of the cervix will start mum of - some inductions end up in c-section because nothing works! All mums to be are different and that's why I love my job!
An induction can start with a membrane sweep, Prostaglandin - its a hormone like substance which kicks off uterine contractions, a midwife or doctor will insert a tablet, pessary or gel containing Prostaglandin into your vagina to ripen your cervix. Sometimes women need a second dose of the tablet or gel after six hours, if labour hasn't started which usually frustrates them! Pessaries release the Prostaglandin more slowly over 24 hours, so only one dose is needed. Its long and tiring and I think mums get mentally drained! If the cervix opens up then we can break the waters, which quite often works just fine! Inductions are more likely to end up in a c-section than a natural birth but done let that worry you!
At the end of the day ladies, giving birth is the most natural thing we can do! Yes its bloody hard, and don't forget painful but I can almost guarantee that as soon as your baby is in your arms it's the best pain relief ever! The most rewarding job you mums to be have and the most rewarding job in the world us midwives have! Good luck to all you mums to be and enjoy every minute!"

Submit your story to marvellousmummies@live.co.uk - please state whether you would like your name and location published otherwise by default you will become 'Anon'.

No comments:

Post a Comment